Student Prizes announced for 2020 ABDA Awards
For the very first time at the 2020 Australian Book Design Awards, ABDA will have two prizes dedicated solely to work by student designers from around the country. It’s a chance for us to celebrate and encourage the next generation of Australian book designers and an exciting move that has us all feeling positive about the future.
More information will be available later this year once submissions are open. We’re getting the word out now, so all you keen-as-mustard design educators and course coordinators have the opportunity to plan second-semester content and projects that could be eligible for entry.
Here’s the lowdown on our student prize guidelines:
- There will be two student categories: a ‘cover’ category judged on the cover alone, and a ‘whole book’ category judged on the cover and internal design together.
- Entries are restricted to books that are produced as if for commercial publishing (no process journals or posters, etc.).
- Student entries are NOT required to have an ISBN.
- Entries are restricted to undergraduate and TAFE students ONLY, post-graduates MAY have the unfair advantage of having worked in industry before.
- Teaching staff MUST submit on behalf of students to make it easier, and fairer, to regulate from our end.
- Both categories are initially judged digitally through our online portal, with the successful long-list to be submitted for physical judging.
- Entry fees for both student prizes will be at the reduced rate of $20 per entry, matching our Independent category.
Please contact Jen via email on email@example.com if you require more information.