Professional Individual Membership
ABDA exists to support
Australian book designers –
to promote their work to, and connect with, the broader publishing community.
- Open to Professional Book Designers / Creatives whose trade is 80% or more commercial work in the Book Publishing Industry.
- Open to Australian residents or Australians living and working overseas
- Showcase your Portfolio on ABDA’s website featuring up to 10 images, biography, links and contact details
- Access to Members-only discounts on seminars, workshops, events, training and annual Book Design Awards
- Discounted entry prices to the for annual Book Design Awards submissions
- Eligible to vote at the ABDA AGM
- Eligible to vote on Designers’ Choice Awards at the annual Book Design Awards
- Eligible to join the ABDA Committee
- Participation in ABDA’s digital Showcases
- Members-only discounts from Partner Organisations
Annual Professional Individual Membership costs $50
This Membership is exclusively for professional Australian Book Designer / Creatives.
Professional Creatives are book designers, art directors, illustrators, photographers, typesetters or typographers whose professional trade is made up of 80% or more commercial* work in the Book Publishing Industry.
All Professional level applicants have their portfolio assessed by peers to ensure that the highest quality of work and professional business practices are met.
The Australian Book Designers Association is a dynamic network for industry professionals. We run the annual Australian Book Design Awards, the oldest design awards in the country, and we are working to establish and maintain a national book design archive.
This website provides a virtual home for our members, offering news, forums, educational events and more.
Our Professional Individual Membership is exclusively for Australian book designers and professional book creatives, including book illustrators, book typographers, typesetters and book photographers whose professional trade is made up of 80% or more commercial work in the Book Publishing Industry.
To apply for Professional Individual Membership please complete the form below and submit a PDF portfolio of up to 10 samples of book design related work. This can include book illustrations, book typography, typesetting and book photography, as outlined above.
Your submission will be peer reviewed and we will respond via email within 7 working days.
*Work is considered commercial when it is created from a brief for a paying client and it is commercially available (physically or electronically). Clients may be trade and education publishers, self publishers, government departments and private companies.